"If it’s here, it’s healthy"
CHANHASSEN, Minn.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--As part of its continued commitment to a healthy way of life, Life Time – The Healthy Way of Life Company (NYSE: LTM) has transformed its LifeCafe menu to feature fresh, clean and healthier food items. All 85 LifeCafe destinations nationwide are offering better ingredients, free of trans fats, bleached flours, and artificial flavors, colors, preservatives and sweeteners. At a time when America is at a breaking point with ever-rising obesity rates, controllable diseases spiraling out of control, and the devastating financial burden of poor health, the launch of LifeCafe’s new menu demonstrates an easy, no excuses positive change to nutritious and delicious eating.
“In today’s world, eating healthy can seem challenging but it needn’t be,” says John Reilly, senior vice president of corporate business. “Within LifeCafe we created an environment where eating right is easy, and there is always an oasis of good choices. You can literally shut your eyes and grab any item, trusting that whatever you select will be a smart choice. Being The Healthy Way of Life Company comes with a great commitment to our members, and we are committed to creating an environment full of healthy choices while also setting an example for others whose businesses evolve around feeding America.”
Here are just few of the dirty ingredients affecting our health:
- Trans fats: There is no safe consumable amount of trans fat. Studies have linked it to raising LDL (bad) cholesterol and lowering HDL (good) cholesterol, as well as increasing risks for obesity, Type II diabetes, premature heart attacks and even cancer.1
- Artificial preservatives: Banned in many other countries, synthetic food additives have been linked to hyperactivity, cancer tumors, skin and eye irritation and asthmatic problems. 1
- Hormones/Antibiotics: Hormonal imbalances in humans are becoming more common as well as overexposure and resistance to antibiotics. 2
- Bleached flour: Bleaching agents alone can be highly irritating to our bodies, not to mention, lethal and dangerous to inhale. Plus, the byproduct, alloxan, is considered a toxin. 3
- Artificial colors: Linked heavily to causing hyperactivity in children as well as increasing risk for tumors, cancer, and allergy-like reactions in humans. 1
Operating under the mission “If it’s here, it’s healthy,” Life Time has made a commitment to its members and the public, promising clean and confident eating. The LifeCafe menu includes all-natural, beef with no added hormones or antibiotics, wild-caught fish, gluten-free Udi’s bread, shakes and smoothies with organic fruit, orange juice and milk and breakfast sandwiches and wraps with organic, cage-free eggs. LifeCafe has also partnered with health-conscious brands to ensure that every drink, energy bar, supplement, snack or other food product sold meets its stringent requirements for healthy eating.
For more information about LifeCafe and Life Time’s healthy approach towards nutrition, visit www.lifetimefitness.com.
In line with this message, Life Time is focusing on reversing the current, destructive state of health and poor nutrition, by launching a movement to take a stance and personal responsibility to make America healthier. It’s called Commitment Day and will launch on January 1, 2013 in a symbolic unity and America participating in run/walk events in more than 30 U.S. cities simultaneously. With the launch of Commitment Day, Life Time and its founding partners and ambassadors will present Americans with a no excuses, healthy lifestyle revolution. 100% of the net proceeds of this movement will be distributed to a variety of Healthy Way of Life charities. Join the movement by registering or share a personal pledge atwww.CommitmentDay.com.
About Life Time Fitness, Inc.
As The Healthy Way of Life Company, Life Time Fitness (NYSE:LTM) helps organizations, communities and individuals achieve their total health objectives, athletic aspirations and fitness goals by engaging in their areas of interest – or discovering new passions – both inside and outside of Life Time’s distinctive and large sports, professional fitness, family recreation and spa destinations, most of which operate 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The Company’s Healthy Way of Life approach enables customers to achieve this by providing the best programs, people and places of uncompromising quality and value. As of October 29, 2012, the Company operated 105 centers under the LIFE TIME FITNESS® and LIFE TIME ATHLETIC(SM) brands in the United States and Canada. Additional information about Life Time centers, programs and services is available at lifetimefitness.com
1. Center for the Science in the Public Interest: “Chemical Cuisine- Learn about Food Additives”http://www.cspinet.org/reports/chemcuisine.htm#dyes
2. Sustainable Table: “The Issues: Antiobiotics” http://www.sustainabletable.org/issues/antibiotics/
3. Mercola.com: “The Little-Known Secrets about Bleached Flour...” March 26, 2009. Joseph M. Mercolahttp://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/03/26/The-Little-Known-Secrets-about-Bleached-Flour.aspx
Photos/Multimedia Gallery Available: http://www.businesswire.com/cgi-bin/mmg.cgi?eid=50457714&lang=en