LONDON, UK, 23 February, 2021 — Bournemouth Beach in Dorset has today been named fifth best-rated beach in Europe and 20th in the world.
As lockdown has left most of us longing to be somewhere — anywhere else than stuck at home, Tripadvisor has just the thing to help you escape, as its annual Travellers’ Choice® Best of the Best Awards for Beaches are revealed today.
Highlighting travellers’ favourite beaches across the globe, from sweeping white sand and turquoise waters in tropical climates, to dramatic cliffs and pounding surf in some of the most secluded spots on Earth, the awards are based on the quality and quantity of reviews and ratings from Tripadvisor travellers for beaches, gathered over a 12-month period. New for 2021, the Best of the Best Beaches also takes into account the volume of “saves” for beaches on Tripadvisor, reflecting the position that many travellers were in for much of 2020 — unable to travel, desperate to travel, lusting after the beaches they wished they could visit.
This year, four UK beaches make Europe’s top 25. In addition to Bournemouth’s success, Cornwall is home to two of Europe’s best, with Porthminster Beach and Perranporth Beach coming in tenth and 16th place respectively. While Scarborough’s Filey Beach ranks 18th.
Europe’s number one goes to Spiaggia dei Conigli on the island of Lampedusa in Italy, followed by Playa de Cofete on the Spanish island of Fuerteventura.
When it comes to the best in the world, Australia’s Whitehaven Beach takes the top spot. The remote Australian paradise located in the heart of the Great Barrier Reef, is only accessible by boat, seaplane or helicopter and is lauded by travellers for its gorgeous soft white sand and postcard perfect turquoise water. In second place is Santa Maria Beach located on the island of Cayo Santa Maria in Cuba.
“Your last trip to the beach probably feels like a lifetime ago, but with vaccine programs rolling out worldwide, safely making that beach getaway a reality just might be in reach! In fact, a recent Tripadvisor survey revealed that 60% of travelers are very likely to take a beach trip in 2021¹,” said Christine Maguire, vice president and general manager, global media business at Tripadvisor. “Whether your preferred kind of beach is preened and pristine or rugged and rough, this list of travelers’ favorites is just the inspiration you need to get planning your next beach break.”
For the complete list of Travellers’ Choice Best of the Best award-winning beaches for 2021, visit:
Top 10 Beaches in the World
- Whitehaven Beach - Whitsunday Island, Australia
- Santa Maria Beach - Cayo Santa Maria, Cuba
- Baia do Sancho - Fernando de Noronha, Brazil
- Grace Bay Beach - Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
- Saint Pete Beach - Florida, United States
- Turquoise Bay - Exmouth, Australia
- Eagle Beach - Eagle Beach, Aruba
- Spiaggia dei Conigli - Lampedusa, Italy
- Ka'anapali Beach - Hawaii, United States
- Baía dos Golfinhos - Praia da Pipa, Brazil
Top 10 Beaches in Europe
- Spiaggia dei Conigli - Lampedusa, Italy
- Playa de Cofete - Fuerteventura, Spain
- Praia da Falésia - Olhos de Agua, Portugal
- La Concha Beach - San Sebastian - Donostia, Spain
- Bournemouth Beach - Bournemouth, United Kingdom
- Balos Lagoon - Kissamos, Crete, Greece
- Elafonissi Beach - Elafonissi, Crete, Greece
- Plage de Santa Giulia - Santa Giulia, Corsica, France
- Kleftiko Beach - Milos, Greece
- Porthminster Beach - St Ives, United Kingdom
The Travellers’ Choice Best of the Best Awards for Beaches honour travellers’ favourite Beaches worldwide based on the quality and quantity of reviews and ratings from Tripadvisor travellers for beaches worldwide, as well as the volume of “saves”, gathered over a 12-month period (January 1, 2020 through December 31, 2020).
Travellers can "save" their travel ideas and plans on Tripadvisor by tapping the heart icon on places to stay, restaurants, and things to do, such as beaches. Tripadvisor views saves as a great indicator of what travellers are interested in doing in the future.
Notes to Editor
- A Tripadvisor Consumer Sentiment Survey, based on data drawn from an online survey of 2,330 consumers, in partnership with Qualtrics, conducted between 28/12/20 through 10/01/21 across six countries - U.S., UK, Australia, Italy, Singapore and Japan
Tripadvisor, the world's largest travel guidance platform*, helps hundreds of millions of people each month** become better travelers, from planning to booking to taking a trip. Travelers across the globe use the Tripadvisor site and app to discover where to stay, what to do and where to eat based on guidance from those who have been there before. With more than 884 million reviews and opinions of 7.9 million businesses, travelers turn to Tripadvisor to find deals on accommodations, book experiences, reserve tables at delicious restaurants and discover great places nearby. As a travel guidance company available in 49 markets and 28 languages, Tripadvisor makes planning easy no matter the trip type.
The subsidiaries of Tripadvisor, Inc. (NASDAQ:TRIP), own and operate a portfolio of online travel brands and businesses, operating under various websites and apps, including the following websites: www.bokun.io, www.cruisecritic.com, www.flipkey.com, www.thefork.com (including www.lafourchette.com, www.eltenedor.com, www.bookatable.co.uk, and www.delinski.com), www.helloreco.com, www.holidaylettings.co.uk, www.housetrip.com, www.jetsetter.com, www.niumba.com, www.seatguru.com, www.singleplatform.com, www.vacationhomerentals.com, and www.viator.com.
* Source: SimilarWeb, unique users de-duplicated monthly, December 2020
** Source: Tripadvisor internal log file