- First phase of travel, tourism and hospitality recovery effort enables people to support local restaurants they love by making it easy to purchase gift cards and discover delivery and take-away services on Tripadvisor
- The Tripadvisor Foundation is committing $1 million (£815,000) to support organisations serving the most vulnerable populations around the world in response to COVID-19
- Communities can generate support for impacted hourly and front line restaurant workers by sharing their love of a favourite restaurant on social media, which will trigger up to $150,000 (£122,000) in match-for-action donations contributed by the Tripadvisor Foundation to World Central Kitchen and the Restaurant Workers’ Community Foundation
London, UK, 7th April, 2020 – Tripadvisor®, the world’s largest travel platform, today launched the first of several initiatives to provide immediate economic support to our local communities, enabling diners and travellers to assist in the long term recovery of travel, tourism and hospitality businesses impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic.
Tripadvisor is enabling diners and travellers to take actions now that help the five million hospitality businesses listed on its platform, such as encouraging take-away or delivery and gift card purchases at a favourite restaurant. Gift card or gift voucher purchases, in particular, serve as much needed microloans to help operators pay their rent, continue to pay employees, as well as fund other critical expenses.
In an effort to bring more attention to these businesses, members of Tripadvisor will also be encouraged to write reviews and create guides that highlight their local favourites and recent dining experiences. These small acts of support can make a big impact for these businesses and local communities as travel and stay-at-home restrictions subside.
Additionally, Tripadvisor is calling on its own global community to help generate much-needed donations to causes that are supporting the industry during this time of need. Diners can also show their appreciation for a restaurant or chef on social media, and generate donations for a hospitality industry in need.
The Tripadvisor Foundation is committing $1 Million to support organisations serving the most vulnerable populations around the world in response to COVID-19.
Initially, within the hospitality sector, the Foundation will contribute $1 (up to $150,000 USD) for each Tripadvisor review posted or shares of the #LoveYourLocal hashtag on public Twitter, Facebook or Instagram accounts. Proceeds will go to two organisations helping impacted restaurant and front line workers: World Central Kitchen and The Restaurant Workers’ Community Foundation. See more details below on ways to participate.
5 Ways Diners Can Help Their Local favourites
In the UK, more than a million restaurants employ nearly 30,000 people. Many restaurant businesses have seen their income substantially reduced or even eliminated altogether as a result of the necessary social distancing measures put in place by governments all over the world.
Tripadvisor is highlighting new ways that customers can provide needed support for their favourite restaurants during this period. Here are five ways diners worldwide can help:
- Reward your old favourites - Do you have a local favourite place to dine that never lets you down? Call the owners or go online to see if they can deliver meals to your doorstep. Consider ordering a meal for delivery as often as you would normally. It could make all the difference for that business!
- Don’t assume - You might think a local restaurant doesn’t offer delivery, but they may have changed their policy in response to the outbreak. Double check before you dismiss that option so you don’t miss out.
- Buy a gift voucher - Lots of restaurants offer gift voucher or gift card purchases that you can redeem for a meal at a later date. These purchases can serve as a microloan for the hospitality industry and provide much needed cash flow for restaurants. Now, Tripadvisor is enabling gift card purchases both online via eGiftCards and enabling diners to call-to-purchase more traditional gift certificates. Check to see if your local favourites feature this option on their Tripadvisor listing page.
- Trigger a match donation - Share photos and recommendations of your favourite restaurants and chefs in a Tripadvisor review or by sharing #loveyourlocal on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter. The Tripadvisor Foundation will contribute $1 in match donations to good causes (up to $150,000 USD) each time you do!
- Discover hidden gems - In search of something new that you haven’t tried before? You can still find new dining experiences locally by searching online. There are over 5 million restaurants listed on Tripadvisor, with many adding delivery service options in response to local travel restrictions.
Helping Impacted Front Line and Hourly Workers
As part of a $1 Million donation to support urgent COVID-19 response needs, the Tripadvisor Foundation will contribute $1 (up to $150,000 USD) each time a customer does one of the following actions and shares the #LoveYourLocal hashtag on public Twitter, Facebook or Instagram accounts, including posting:
- An image of a gift card receipt from a restaurant you love anywhere in the world
- A link to a Tripadvisor review of your favourite dining experience
- Your favourite dish at your favourite local restaurant linking to a Tripadvisor business listing
- A tribute to your favourite chef or culinary experience linking to a Tripadvisor business listing
- A list of your local favourites using Tripadvisor’s “Saves” feature by clicking on the heart icon on any Tripadvisor restaurant listing
These donations will be equally distributed between World Central Kitchen, a nonprofit organisation that mobilizes urgently to provide meals in the wake of natural disasters and crises, and the Restaurant Workers’ Community Foundation dedicated to making the restaurant industry more hospitable and providing support to those in the restaurant industry impacted by the COVID-19 crisis.
While the immediate needs are focused on supporting the restaurant industry, the partnership will evolve to support impacted small businesses across the tourism and hospitality sector.
For more information and guidance on COVID-19, you can join the conversation on Tripadvisor traveler forums, visit the World Health organisation, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention or local government authorities.
- ENDS -
Tripadvisor, the world's largest travel platform*, helps 463 million travellers each month** make every trip their best trip. travellers across the globe use the Tripadvisor site and app to browse 859 million reviews and opinions of 8.6 million accommodations, restaurants, experiences, airlines and cruises. Whether planning or on a trip, travellers turn to Tripadvisor to compare low prices on hotels, flights and cruises, book popular tours and attractions, as well as reserve tables at great restaurants. Tripadvisor, the ultimate travel companion, is available in 49 markets and 28 languages.
The subsidiaries and affiliates of Tripadvisor, Inc. (NASDAQ:TRIP), own and operate a portfolio of travel media brands and businesses, operating under various websites and apps, including the following websites: www.airfarewatchdog.com, www.bokun.io, www.bookingbuddy.com, www.cruisecritic.com, www.familyvacationcritic.com, www.flipkey.com, www.thefork.com (including www.lafourchette.com, www.eltenedor.com, www.restorando.com, and www.bookatable.co.uk), www.holidaylettings.co.uk, www.holidaywatchdog.com, www.housetrip.com, www.jetsetter.com, www.niumba.com, www.onetime.com, www.oyster.com, www.seatguru.com, www.singleplatform.com, www.smartertravel.com, www.vacationhomerentals.com, and www.viator.com.
* Source: Jumpshot for Tripadvisor Sites, worldwide, November 2019
** Source: Tripadvisor internal log files, average monthly unique visitors, Q3 2019