"With the initial launch of our corporate wellness initiatives in 1996, we set out to deliver unparalleled products and programs that offered real, measurable results to our clients and their employees"
CHANHASSEN, Minn.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--In the face of a significant and growing national health crisis, corporations and consumers alike are battling ever-increasing health care challenges and costs. Yet, nearly 80% of medical costs are associated with modifiable risk factors and a mere 7% weight loss among those considered obese can reduce claims costs by a staggering 31%. In light of this opportunity, businesses are seeking proactive solutions that enable employees to take charge of their state of health – both physically and financially.
Increasingly, such companies are turning to Life Time Fitness (NYSE: LTM) and its broad portfolio of Total Health products and services designed to help corporate clients and their employees partner to build healthier workforces and improve their collective bottom lines. In response to this ever-growing need, Life Time Fitness has continued to expand its health and wellness capabilities, including its own in-house team and strategic partnerships. Today, with more than 12 years of experience in consumer driven health plans and the first company to offer incentive-based fitness programs, offers corporations and the community a comprehensive ‘Total Health’ approach, including:
- Health Assessment Tools:
- Onsite biometric screenings conducted by Life Time Fitness medical assistants and phlebotomists
- Lab-based screenings at more than 10,000 health screening locations nationwide
- Club-based assessments to measure flexibility, body composition, strength and VO2 max (cardio respiratory endurance), metabolic testing, caloric target and intake requirements and thorough health screenings
- Online health questionnaire and personal action plans to guide employees to better health
- Engagement Services:
- A powerful, online health and wellness consumer portal powered by Mayo Clinic Embody Health, which uses the employee’s biometric screening data to deliver personalized health tools, trackers, calculators and self assessments, aggregate and individual reporting, online scheduling and a rewards program.
- Personalized lifestyle management and coaching services regarding topics such as tobacco cessation, stress management, exercise and nutrition.
- Onsite programs, including a range of healthy-way-of-life seminars, personal training and registered dietician consultations, massage, group fitness programs and Experience Life magazine
- Club-based programs at Life Time Fitness’ base of health and fitness centers, currently including more than 20 major markets, corporate membership programs, professional fitness services and programming and fitness reimbursement models
- An new, innovative program which extends beyond the industry norm of telephonic and web-based solutions to include interactive onsite programming including access to Life Time Fitness’ best-in-class centers, pre and post outcome assessments and a wide range of programs.
- Access to additional healthy lifestyle services, including Personal Training, Nutrition Coaching and an award-winning health and wellness publication, serve to deliver the education and support that make a healthy lifestyle a long-term habit.
- Program evaluations and reporting to provide a roadmap to drive behavior change and pre- and post-program analysis.
Among the hundreds of Life Time Fitness corporate clients on their way to lowering medical costs, improving employee health and morale, and increased productivity are:
First National Bank
One of the largest banks in Arizona, First National Bank always has offered a comprehensive benefit plan to their more than 2,000 employees. However, officials decided to adopt an integrated wellness plan offering via Life Time Fitness, such that, they could offer health screenings to all employees nationwide, along with coaching for those individuals identified as a high health risk.
Solution: First National Bank funded an additional $250 into an employee’s Health Reimbursement Arrangement (HRA) account if they participated in the screening and reduced monthly premium contributions by $20 for their traditional plan offering.
Results: First National Bank realized a participation rate of 80% by April 2008, as compared with less than 1% with their previous provider. Employee surveys indicate high satisfaction with the ease of conducting screenings and the comprehensive health and wellness individual reporting.
Glenbrook High School District
Illinois’ Glenbrook High School District experienced average health care costs increases of more than 24% per year from August 2000 to September 2003. The district’s primary goal was to provide a comprehensive wellness program to meet the day-to-day needs of employees, as well as realize cost savings to the district through better health care management.
Solution: Glenbrook selected Life Time Fitness in 2004 to help promote wellness among the district's 800+ staff members. The program has included health assessments, fitness and nutrition coaching, corporate memberships and regular onsite group fitness classes for employees and their spouses.
Result: Glenbrook realized more than $5 million in health care savings since 2004, reducing its annual health care increases from more than 24% to just 3.6%. The District also expects to accrue additional savings with fewer sick days and a reduction in substitute staff requirements, and was recognized both nationally and in Illinois as a, "Best Business Practice.”
Non-profit, Minneapolis-based health insurance company, Medica, provides more than 1.4 million members with health care coverage in the employer, individual, Medicaid, Medicare and Medicare Part D markets in Minnesota and a growing number of counties in North Dakota, South Dakota and Wisconsin. Based in part on published research, Medica Health Plans hypothesized an incentive based fitness program would result in attracting and retaining members, increase member satisfaction and lower and/or maintain the health of the members who enrolled, resulting in health care cost savings for both Medica, its client companies and insures.
Solution: In partnership with Life Time Fitness, Medica offered its members an incentive-based fitness program. Plan members who exercised at least eight times per month at a Life Time Fitness center are rewarded with monthly savings on their membership fees.
Result: Previously non-Life Time Fitness members who became high utilizing members achieved a 33.6% reduction in average monthly medical costs as compared with a matched study control group. Individuals not enrolled in the program and who did not exercise eight times a month were 43% to 105% more likely to have been to a clinic, hospital or emergency room.
“With the initial launch of our corporate wellness initiatives in 1996, we set out to deliver unparalleled products and programs that offered real, measurable results to our clients and their employees,” said Glen Gunderson, vice president of Life Time Fitness’Total Health Division. “Since that time, we have evolved to a consumer-driven-health model, supported by our team of internal experts, including health professionals, personal trainers, and registered dieticians, and best-in-class collaborations, including Mayo Clinic. For our corporate clients, the seamless integration of these elements via our offering means that they can efficiently and cost-effectively achieve assessments of their employee population, determine and implement proactive measures that drive improvement, deliver improved employee wellness benefits, and optimize insurance choices designed to meet their needs and that of their workforce.”
“We are very excited about this relationship with Life Time Fitness,” said Tom Ferraro, Director of Strategic Relations for Mayo Clinic Health Solutions. “Part of Mayo Clinic’s mission is to serve as a reliable source of health and wellness information to as many people as possible. Providing our health resources to corporations through Life Time’s Total Health program will allow us to reach more people and help them lead healthier lifestyles, a goal that helps employers and individuals alike.”
About Life Time Fitness, Inc.
Life Time Fitness, Inc. (NYSE:LTM) operates distinctive and large, multi-use sports and athletic, professional fitness, family recreation and resort and spa centers. The company also provides consumers with personal training consultation, full-service spas and cafes, corporate wellness programs, health and nutrition education, the healthy lifestyle magazine, Experience Life, athletic events and nutritional products. As of August 26, 2008, Life Time Fitness operated 74 centers in 17 states, including Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Carolina, Ohio, Texas, Utah and Virginia. Life Time Fitness is headquartered in Chanhassen, Minnesota, and can be located on the Web at lifetimefitness.com. LIFE TIME FITNESS, EXPERIENCE LIFE, and the LIFE TIME FITNESS TRIATHLON SERIES are registered trademarks of Life Time Fitness, Inc. All other trademarks or registered trademarks are the property of their respective owners.