Pregnancy is a life-changing event, and there are few things more exciting – or nerve-wracking – than expecting a baby. Above all, pregnant women and their families want a healthy baby. Timely accurate information, smart health care advice, and occasional reassurance can help expectant mothers take care of themselves and their baby.
Thanks in part to the many pregnancy-related smartphone apps available, expectant moms already have some of this information. But suppose an app could connect to so much more, such as personalized coaching that may help reduce the chances of preterm delivery?
The Cigna Healthy Pregnancy app is designed to do just that. But unlike content-only apps, this app is integrated and personalized, so it delivers guidance based on the woman’s age, previous health risks, and other specific factors. It connects expectant parents to Cigna’s suite of health benefits (such as maternity coaching) that are part of the Cigna Healthy Pregnancies, Healthy Babies program. It makes it easier for them to track important dates, learn about their baby’s development, and stay on top of their health during every stage of pregnancy.
“The app delivers convenient, personalized guidance, giving expectant parents information to help them make important health care decisions in real-time,” said Julie McCarter, vice president of product solutions at Cigna.
The app is helpful for first-time and seasoned parents alike. When seeking information, many pregnant women turn to Google, where a simple search can lead to inaccurate or misleading sources and information. The Cigna Healthy Pregnancy app, developed in partnership with Wildflower Health, connects to credible, fact-based maternity health information and hands-on help from qualified health care professionals. Much of Wildflower’s clinically validated content is sourced from the well-known experts and sources such as What to Expect When You’re Expecting, enabling Cigna to curate an informative and empowering experience for customers.
The Cigna Healthy Pregnancy app’s features include:
- A health assessment survey that automatically sends information about you and your pregnancy to a Cigna maternity coach, who follows up to discuss the pregnancy coaching program.
- The opportunity to learn about health symptoms and issues during pregnancy.
- Personalized content with daily and weekly milestones (such as taking folic acid, and when and how to get a breast pump).
- Means to track your weight gain, monitor your baby's kicks, and create a list of things to discuss with your doctor (and to set reminders).
- The ability to watch videos about your baby’s weekly development and to feel more connected to your baby with the Baby Boost relaxation tool.
- Instant click-to-call access to coaches at the Healthy Pregnancies, Healthy Babies® program. Its resources include preconception planning and infertility, prenatal education and support based on a woman’s level of risk, and one-on-one discussions and information about postpartum depression, breast feeding, and other topics.
The Cigna Healthy Pregnancy app is not a replacement for doctor visits, but a complement to them. For example, it provides a "Hot List" of questions to ask the OB/GYN. The program offers women 24/7 access to a health coach with nursing experience to support them during their pregnancy, as well as other Cigna health care professionals who can provide information to support expectant mothers.
Cigna hopes convenient access to information that may help identify signs of early risk, promote prenatal care, and provide healthy lifestyle education will help reduce the number of preterm births and low-birth-weight babies. Women who work with a maternity coach receive additional personalized support based on their level of risk, be it low, medium, or high.
“Maternity coaches guide moms to tools and resources to help them stay healthy every step of the way, including after the baby is born,” said Patricia Stephenson, M.D., Medical Officer at Cigna. “The same coach will contact a mom two more times after birth to look for signs of depression and offer support for common newborn concerns, like breastfeeding.”
A healthy pregnancy is a win for families, communities, and society at large. And it’s only the first step in a sustained, growing relationship where Cigna can help parents and their families achieve their healthiest, most productive lives.
The app can be downloaded from the App Store, Google Play, or other online app stores. It is available to Cigna customers who may also be eligible for financial incentives offered by their employer for participation.