Boston — March 12, 2013 — Blue Benefit Administrators of Massachusetts (BBA), a subsidiary of Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts (BCBSMA), today announced it will offer Select Blue Network, an innovative new health plan offering for self-insured Massachusetts cities and towns that offers significant savings of up to 10% on health care costs. The new option includes a select PPO network of cost-effective, high-quality hospitals, doctors, and other health care providers that municipalities throughout the state can choose to receive care from.
"Massachusetts cities and towns are continually seeking ways to provide access to high-quality health care while also effectively managing costs," said Larry Croes, Vice President of Commercial & Municipal Markets for BCBSMA. "Select Blue Network is an affordable alternative to our standard PPO network, and offers the value, security, and comprehensive coverage municipalities and their employees have come to expect from Blue Cross."
The Select Blue Network includes 54 hospitals and more than 13,000 physicians throughout Massachusetts1 that meet quality and efficiency guidelines, and are low- to moderate-cost. Select Blue Network provides coverage for the same range of services included in BCBSMA's larger network plans, but at a lower claim cost with no referrals ever needed. There's also an enhanced fitness benefit that allows employees to earn up to $200 toward membership dues or exercise class fees at a qualified full-service health club. Covered members also have access to the Blue Cross Blue Shield national PPO network outside of Massachusetts which provides in-network savings for employers and members.
In addition to the Select Blue Network offered through BBA, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts has a suite of flexible options that the cities and towns of Massachusetts can choose from to meet their individual health care needs. Visit the Municipal Options website for more information. Other benefits provided by Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts include:
- A holistic approach for getting claims/costs under control through a one-stop approach: flexible options; innovative and affordable health care designs; dental plans; wellness.
- As the market leader, BCBSMA offers customized solutions and insures or administers health plans for more than 75% of the municipal entities in the state, while successfully helping cities and towns reduce health care costs.
- The ability to annually review options for controlling health care costs to ensure maximum savings.
- Tailored health and wellness and disease management programs targeted to a city or town's specific challenges and goals.
- Greater flexibility to address financial challenges through contribution level and/or plan design changes.
- Unparalleled service from account executive and service teams that are available whenever, wherever they're needed. Health fairs and enrollment activities also take place frequently at the convenience of the city and town, which can be valuable tools for educating employees about their health plan.
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts (www.bluecrossma.com) is a community-focused, tax-paying, not-for-profit health plan headquartered in Boston. We're committed to working with others in a spirit of shared responsibility to make quality health care affordable. Consistent with our corporate promise to always put our 2.8 million members first, we are rated among the nation's best health plans for member satisfaction and quality. BCBSMA is proud to provide health coverage to more than 250,000 municipal employees, to their families, and to 120,000 federal employees.
Blue Benefit Administrators of Massachusetts (BBA), a subsidiary of Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts and an Independent Licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association, offers customers the ability to customize PPO plan designs, networks, medical management and wellness programs to best fit the needs of their members.
1 Except Franklin County and the Islands