Chief Marketing and Public Relations Officer
Andrea Brimmer is the chief marketing and public relations officer of Ally Financial, an innovative financial services company known for its disruptive brand and relentless focus on its customers.
Brimmer joined Ally at the dawn of the financial crisis, when the company faced intense challenges – transitioning from its roots as a captive auto finance company, while also launching the first-ever online-only deposits franchise, Ally Bank.
She spearheaded the creation of the Ally brand, developing everything from the brand pillars and cultural framework to the value proposition and delivery in the marketplace. Under her direction, Ally emerged with a strong reputation as a “different” kind of financial services company, dedicated to solving customer pain points that traditional institutions ignored.
Since 2009, Ally has grown and diversified, adding corporate finance, online brokerage and wealth management, home mortgage and insurance products to its legacy portfolio of auto loans and banking.
Brimmer was named chief marketing officer in 2015. In 2016, she launched the company’s first unified brand campaign, “Do It Right”, highlighting Ally’s unique focus on doing the right thing for customers. The campaign not only aligned the full scope of the company’s product offerings under one mantra, it also reflected the company’s internal culture and core values. “Do It Right” became a point of pride for Ally and resulted in the highest consumer brand sentiment and awareness in company history.
Prior to joining Ally in 2006, Brimmer spent 20 years on the agency side in Detroit, where she led the Chevrolet account and launched the iconic American Revolution campaign.
She sits on the Professional Advisory Board of the College of Communication Arts and Sciences at Michigan State University and the Board of Directors for eHealth. She earned her bachelor’s degree from Michigan State University, where she also played varsity collegiate soccer for four years.
Honors & Accolades
Brimmer is widely recognized as one of the country’s most innovative and effective marketing leaders.
- A winner of Adweek’s 2020 Brand Genius awards for marketers who have skillfully led their brands’ messaging to new heights
- Named to the Effie Worldwide Board of Directors which helps establish the global gold standard in marketing to make the industry stronger and more effective.
- A member of the Board of Directors of the Ad Council, which helps the advertising industry maximize its passion for social good.
- Honored at the Campaign US 2020 Female Frontier Awards for 'Breaking Brand Barriers.' The awards recognize female marketing mavericks who push their brands to the next level.
- The Internationalist included Brimmer on their list of the “20 Inspiring Marketers of the First 20 Years of the 21st Century” (2020).
- Named a MediaPost All-Star in Marketing for pushing the business to new levels of excellence through outstanding achievements and thought leadership (2020).
- Debuted at number seven in the annual AdAge “Marketers of the Year” roundup for her skillful use of brand as “a weapon of mass seduction” (2019).
- Honored by her peers with the “CMO Innovation Award,” which recognizes leaders who create innovative environments that lead to break-through marketing and game-changing outcomes (2019).
- Two-time winner of the Financial Communication Society’s “Marketer of the Year” honor for providing inspiring examples of how marketing and communications can advance a financial services firm’s business objectives (2019 and 2017), the only CMO to win twice in the history of the award.
- Cited in AdAge’s esteemed list of “Women to Watch” (2018).
- Received the Michigan State University College of Communications Arts and Sciences’ Outstanding Alumni Award (2018).
- Named a “Communicator of the Year” by ANA Business Marketing New York, which deemed her “The Disruptor” (2018).
- Designated as an “All Star of Marketing” by Automotive News (2016).
- Selected for the “100 Leading Women” list by Automotive News (2015).
- Included in the Forbes list of “50 Most Influential CMOs” (2015 and 2014).
As a top female executive, Brimmer believes in supporting the career growth and development of women both inside and outside of Ally.
She regularly mentors junior colleagues, as well as college students from various universities. She also participates in the Forbes CMO University Alumni Series, which brings successful marketing professionals to college campuses around the country to cultivate the next generation of marketing talent.
In her work with emerging professionals, Brimmer speaks honestly about the role of bravery in her career, particularly the role of bravery in taking risks that lead to personal and professional rewards.
A quote from Pablo Picasso is Brimmer’s mantra, “The meaning of life is to find your gift. The purpose of life is to give it away.”